Thursday, September 01, 2011

Beverly Store

Old store building in Christian County, KY



This building appears to have been a store at one time. It's located in the little community known as Beverly, near the intersection of Lafayette Road and Old Palmyra Road,  a few miles south of Hopkinsville, Kentucky. Thus, I believe it was the Beverly Store in earlier days.

Edgar Cayce, the "Sleeping Prophet", grew up in this immediate vicinity. His father, Leslie Cayce, ran the Beverly Store during the 1870s. I don't know if the building in the photo was around in the 1870s, or if the store was in a different building then.

I mention Edgar Cayce only because that's what Google brought up when I searched for "Beverly Store Christian County Kentucky". Edgar Cayce is a famous figure in local history, but I have decided not to learn much about him. I think his psychic powers came from Darkness whether he acknowledged it or not, and the less I study him, the better. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

A gazetteer published in 1880 describes Beverly as a "post-hamlet of Christian co., Ky., 8 miles from Hopkinsville." It mentions a high school and a church, which would have been the Beverly Academy and the Liberty Church. Along with the Beverly Store, all were located within a mile or so along the Palmyra Pike.

4 comments:

Lesa said...

I live in the big community of Beverly! You should have stopped by for a visit since you were within a half mile of my house! We have got to meet someday! Have you ever been inside Beverly Academy? You would love it!

Genevieve Netz said...

Well, darn, Lesa, I'd have visited you. I was just fooling around that day, anyhow. I have not been inside the Beverly Academy. Is it the school that William Turner moved to his place and restored?

Lesa said...

Yes - it is on the Turner place. They love to show it to people.

CJ THE TRAVELING MAN said...

Looking to film it

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.