Sunday, May 08, 2011

A Dozen Things My Mother Gave Me

Thank you, Mama!


1. A "can-do" attitude about challenging jobs and hard work.
2. The security of knowing my mom loved me and everyone else in my family!
3. Beautiful little homemade dresses. Sometimes, she must have stayed up terribly late sewing them!
4. A daily routine of family meals, my own chores, and enough sleep.
5. Plenty of "encouragement" about fulfilling my obligations.
6. The opportunity to take piano lessons.
7. Her attention -- she listened to what I had to say with genuine interest.
8. Time to read, play, and be a kid.
9. Confidence that I could sew anything I had a pattern for, cook anything I had a recipe for, and learn anything I had a book about.
10. An interest in current events.
11. Her prayers for me, every day of her life!
12. An example of an honorable life, lived by Christian principles.





5 comments:

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

The words about your Mother are just beautiful. :)

Wishing you a Happy Mother's Day as well.

Blessings to you and yours always. :)

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the pictures of your Mom. I especially loved the one of her in the cattle yard with a skirt on, they don't make Ladies like that any more. Thanks, Beth

Just Suzanne said...

Thanks for you list, Genevieve! This is a lovely Mother's Day post. :)

Genevieve Netz said...

If I had to describe my mom with a single word, I think I would choose "tough." She worked hard, side by side with my dad, on the ranch earning a living and making a home. Often she did "men's work" with the cattle and in the hayfield. During the 1970s, she fought breast cancer twice and survived for another 20+ years. Part of what made her strong was her faith in God, and part of it was her inborn nature combined with the life experiences of losing her own mother at an early age and growing up during the Depression.

Unknown said...

Beautiful Mother's Day tribute. Great memories.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.