Friday, January 21, 2011

Thrills and Chills

Windshield photos


By the time I came home from work late yesterday afternoon, the ground was white with new snow. When I turned off the highway onto our little road, I stopped to get our mail.

Our Mennonite neighbor lady and her two youngest daughters were coming down the hill. I waited for them so they wouldn't have to walk on the slippery edges of the road as I passed. It occurred to me that I should steal a photo as I was sitting there, so I took this through the windshield of my car.

Whenever we have a cold, windy, snowy day, it's a sure bet that our neighbor lady will be out for a stroll. She loves braving the weather in her big boots and her wooly scarf and mittens. True to form, when she got to the bottom of the hill, she told me that she was really enjoying the weather!


The roads were slick last night and slicker this morning. WHOP in Hopkinsville reported numerous accidents. School was cancelled.

I left for work half an hour early. The road was a bright ribbon of ice. I stopped for a moment and took a photo through the windshield.

Just a few minutes later, I hit a little pothole or patch in the road, and it sent my car into a skid. In a second, I did a 180-degree turn and found myself facing the opposite direction. I didn't go into the ditch. I came safely to a stop.  After a moment of reflection, I turned around in a nearby driveway and went down the road again, more cautiously than ever.

It's a good thing that I was only going 25 mph, and no one else was on the road.  And if it had been time for me to go, I certainly wouldn't have had time to repent  and say my prayers!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.