Monday, June 15, 2009

Greenhouse at Fairview, KY

Flower shopping at Fairview


The Country Barn, with the Jefferson Davis Monument in the background.

I bought some flowers and tomato plants at the Mennonite greenhouse on the outskirts of Fairview, KY a couple of weeks ago. It's a pleasant place to visit, even when you really don't need any plants.

It was late in the season when I finally planted my garden. At the greenhouse, I bought two flats of marigolds that were past their first bloom. They were already marked down, and Mrs. Weaver agreed to take an even  lower price for a full flat. The flowers are putting on new blooms, now that they've been planted in the ground.

Fairview is a small town, but it might be possible to miss the greenhouse somehow, so I will give directions. The Country Barn is located at 112 Britmart Road on the north side of Fairview. From Highway 68/80, take the exit for Highway 1801 (Britmart Road) and turn toward the Jefferson Davis Monument.

The easy-to-find location of the greenhouse has made it popular with many people who ordinarily would hesitate to venture out into the countryside. It's quite apparent that The Country Barn's business is flourishing. The ability of the Mennonites to make a living with hard work and a small acreage is being demonstrated again.

See more information about The Country Barn at the Kentucky Dept. of Agriculture website.

Related post:
Jeff Davis and the Mennonites
Pennysaver Market at Fairview KY

7 comments:

Bill Harper said...

I would be more interested in the Jefferson Davis attractions but my wife would love the greenhouse :)

Genevieve Netz said...

The monument has an interesting little exhibit and museum, and you can also ride the elevator to the top of the monument. The park is nice as well. It's sort of a historic curiosity that is well worth a visit.

Anonymous said...

Ms Nets: I think you are directionally challenged like my wife. It would appear that the Greenhouse store is on the south side of RT 68 the same side the Obelisk is on. You mentined I think that it was on the north side. Or is it that the center of Fairview isn't the iintersection of old 68 and the road to Trenton and Tiny Town. LOL

Genevieve Netz said...

Perhaps you are not reading carefully. I said that the greenhouse is on the north side of Fairview -- which is certainly correct. It would be incorrect to say that the greenhouse is on the north side of 68/80 -- and I did not say that it is.

I quote myself:
"Fairview is a small town, but it might be possible to miss the greenhouse somehow, so I will give directions. The Country Barn is located at 112 Britmart Road on the north side of Fairview. From Highway 68/80, take the exit for Highway 1801 (Britmart Road) and turn toward the Jefferson Davis Monument."

Genevieve Netz said...

The intersection at the center of Fairview is old 68/80 (which went from Hopkinsville to Elkton) and 115/Pembroke Road (which goes to Pembroke and Oak Grove.) I am not aware of any roads out of the center of Fairview that go to Trenton and Tiny Town.

Anonymous said...

I stand corrected. My recolection is obviously not as good as I think it is.

Anonymous said...

Ms Netz: Upon further review I realize I was melding the road from Fairview which goes to Pembroke and Hwy 181 which goes from Elkton to Guthrie. My bad.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.