Tuesday, September 30, 2008

My Symphony

A life of harmony




To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common -- this is my symphony.

--William Henry Channing (1810-1884)

Today is my 57th birthday. Last night, I came across the words I've quoted above. They seem a good set of principles for my next 57 years (in addition to the Ten Commandments, of course.). The one I'm going to have perpetual trouble with is "hurry never."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!

Lesa said...

Happy Birthday Genevieve! I hope you had an extra special day with your loved ones near!
As I get older I find myself wishing that things would hurry up and slow down a little in my life!

Genevieve Netz said...

Thank you both for the birthday wishes. As for celebrating, I have a 4-day weekend which I am beginning tonight. It's going to be a packed 4 days, but I am looking forward to the mini-vacation from work.

Collagemama said...

Thank you for this wise quote.

Hurry really is toxic. It sets us up for so much extra stress and anxiety.

winecountrydog said...

G, I missed your BD so I gotta howl best BD woofs belatedly!

I read your Channing quote to dog-ma and she sez it's the best! We hope you get another 57 years to show people how to follow Channing's principles.

As a dog, I guess I don't think enuff 'bout these things. I doo get impatient about awaiting treats. And I hurry around too much. Tho' I can run well now, I better not rush after the ball too fast. (I'm way older than 57 in dog years.)

Big wet nose BD kisses, Tilin Corgi
^..^

heelers said...

Fine poetic photo Gen.
James

Genevieve Netz said...

Thanks, y'all. James, I've always liked that photo. You can probably see the film grain in it -- it was taken with my trusty Pentax 35 mm.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.