Saturday, May 05, 2007

Close Call With a Heart Attack

And What I Think About It...



In my email today, a lady wrote that she had attended a meeting a couple of days ago in a town some distance away. As she was driving home, she began to experience some unusual pain.

Here's her description: "I felt a fairly sharp pain under my right shoulder blade, then shortly I had pain in my left jaw and kinda up my neck followed by pain under my left shoulder blade. This was past being interesting, we had just talked about Women's Health and how heart attacks start."

She decided to stop at the emergency room in the next town, where they administered a nitroglycerine pill under her tongue that stopped the pain within an hour (as the muscles in the heart relaxed and began to let more blood through.)

She spent the night in the hospital and saw a cardiologist the next day. Tests revealed a partial blockage in a blood vessel on the front side of her heart. She has a procedure scheduled in two weeks to clear it.

After reading this story, I thought about my sister's father-in-law. an elderly man who lives alone. Several years ago, he realized that he was having unusual chest pain and called 911 in time to get emergency treatment before he had serious heart damage.

These are two stories about heart attacks with good endings because people recognized and acknowledged what was happening to them.

I reviewed the symptoms of a heart attack today, and I hope you will too. Here are two good articles:



Technorati Technorati tags: , , ,

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.