Friday, March 16, 2007

An Idea About Daylight Savings Time

And What I Think About It...



I've been reading many blog rants about the switchover to Daylight Savings Time (DST) last weekend. Bloggers across the nation hated losing an hour of sleep.

The folks at church early Sunday morning had plenty to say about DST, and I've been hearing complaints all week from friends and neighbors. Even my Mennonite neighbor lady mentioned the recent unpleasantness of losing an hour.

I've given the situation some thought and here's what I propose. The "spring forward" weekend of DST should be eliminated because the loss of an hour is very stressful to the general public.

However, since everyone enjoys gaining an extra hour on the "fall back" weekend of DST, we need to fall back more often.

I propose that all legal holidays be made automatic fall-back days. In addition, I suggest that we allow the President to declare "fall back" weekends whenever he thinks we deserve a little treat or need a little extra rest.

For example, on April 16th, the President might announce that since we have all been so good about doing our duty with income taxes, we will have a fall-back weekend.

Maybe we could all be issued a certain number of fall-back days per year that we could use at our own discretion, much like personal-leave days at work.

Frequent fall-back days would do wonders for the national morale, don't you think?

I rather like this idea. Don't bring up the complications, please. I don't want to hear about them.

Technorati tags:



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am I the only person that likes DST? DST, especially this early DST, gives me enough daylight to get in some exercise after work. Of course I don't like losing an hour of sleep - my internal clock is still off by an hour.

Genevieve Netz said...

You know, I think it's really the one night that's an hour shorter that irritates people. I doubt if many people really mind the extra hour of daylight at the end of the day!

I'm still not adjusted to the new time either. I have to start getting to bed earlier!

Sarabeth said...

Mark, I like DST as well. The days are longer. My kids and I can spend more time outside after school.

When I lived in Seattle, I really felt as if I had so much more time. The sun rose so early and set so late that we were up in the morning for water skiing and still had time for a good lunch followed by a long hike.

Those complainers.

You are right, Genevieve. Those fall back days feel just as lovely. One after tax day would be great.

Genevieve Netz said...

We live on the eastern edge of Central Time, so we naturally have more daylight in the early morning than they do farther west in the zone. DST does help us have a longer evening, just like it's supposed to do.

West of Wichita, KS, out where my brother lives, it's the western side of the time zone, and at the longest days of the year with DST, it's still twilight at about 10:00 p.m.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.