Friday, October 27, 2006

Sunshine and Rain

Life in Christian County, Kentucky... Christian and Lutheran Life...



It's another gray, wet day here. It rained hard early this morning and more rain is forecast for the day. The little streambed that was just a wrinkle on the meadow a few days ago is now full and overflowing.

A few days ago


This morning

The title I gave this post, "Sunshine and Rain," reminded me of the plaque that hung on the wall of our home when I was growing up:

What God Hath Promised

God hath not promised
Sun without rain,
Joy without sorrow,
Peace without pain.
But God hath promised
Strength for the day,
Rest for the labourer,
Light for the way,
Grace for the trials,
Help from above,
Unfailing sympathy,
Undying love.

"There hath not failed one word of all His good promise."
I Kings 8:56

How can I quote this so perfectly? Two reasons. First, the little poem is quoted from the hymn, "What God Hath Promised," and second, the plaque is hanging in my kitchen!

Hey, y'all. Have a great day!

Technorati tags:



1 comment:

heelers said...

When I read these words I thought of another quotation:
"I prayed and wisdom was given me. I valued her more than jewels."
James

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.