Sunday, May 28, 2006

Grandpa's Love

All In The Family... And What I Think About It...



Today after church, we stopped at Burger King for a quick sandwich before running some errands. With gasoline so expensive, I'm trying to limit my trips to town, especially now that Isaac's out of school for the summer.

As we were getting ready to leave, a man was standing at the end of the counter apparently waiting for someone. I noticed him because he looked a bit like a man from our church and for a moment, I thought I knew him. Other than that, there was nothing striking about him. He appeared to be in his sixties, and he had gray hair.

Then a little boy burst through the doorway, followed by his mother. "Grandpa!" he exclaimed, and ran toward the gentleman at the end of the counter. The man turned and his face lit up like sunshine. He held out his arms and the little boy ran into them and they shared a joyful hug. When we left, the grandpa was holding the little boy in his arms, and the little boy had his arms wrapped around his grandpa's neck.

The love between that grandfather and grandson touched my heart.

The incident reminded me of the photo below. It was taken in early 1989. Keely was three years old. She was trying on my wedding veil one day during a visit at Grandpa and Grandma's house. My dad was watching her and the look on his face is poignant to me. My dad really loved his grandkids.

Unfortunately, we always lived so far away that our visits to Grandpa and Grandma were semi-annual pilgrimages. My sister and brother lived nearby, and their kids enjoyed a wonderful relationship with their grandparents.

I hope that I have the opportunity to see my grandchildren often. (When I have grandchildren, that is, because it's not yet time for them.)

Grandpa Hill and Keely

Technorati tags:

1 comment:

Wrkinprogress said...

My Granddaddy died in 1974, and I miss him to this day. I believe with all my heart that he loved me more than anyone else on earth. Thank God for Granddads!

WIP

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.