Thursday, April 13, 2006

My Dad

All In The Family...



This is my dad in about 1988. He is always on my mind at Easter because that is the time of year that he passed away. His funeral was held on the Saturday before Easter Sunday. He passed away on April 3, 1996. To be sure of that date, I looked it up. I think of Easter weekend, not April 3, as the anniversary of his death.

I'm fortunate that I had a great father. I have so many happy memories of him. He was a smart, creative, innovative man who loved being a rancher and working in his shop. He wasn't perfect, but he loved his family deeply.

I am glad that my dad was a devout Christian. I know that he is in heaven. He's absent from the body, but present with the Lord. (2 Corinthians 5:8).

My dad saw potentials in me that my mother probably didn't recognize. When we bought our house, he started giving me little tools for Christmas. He assured me that I could learn to do home repairs, and he gave me my first lesson in using an electric drill. He'd wouldn't be too surprised to find out that I've now developed a fondness for power tools and plywood.

A great lesson I learned from my father is to continue to express love to your children even when they are grown-up. I particularly remember that one time in his later years, Daddy gave me a hug and told me, "Don't ever forget how much I love you!" Those words mean even more to me today than they did when he said them.

3 comments:

Sarabeth said...

My dad also gives me tools each year. I'm now an accomplished home repair person.

Genevieve Netz said...

He saw the gift in you. :)

Trixie said...

What a sweet remembrance! I'm a tool girl too. Good memories.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.