Saturday, April 01, 2006

Growing Older

And What I Think About It...



I came across this in my files the other day. I have two versions of it, and neither have an author listed. They're only slightly different. I think my friend Sammie in Nebraska sent me one of them. Anyway, here it is, and may I remember it as I get older myself!

My Prayer

Lord, you know better than I realize myself that I am growing older and will soon be old.

Keep me from getting too talkative and particularly guard me from the fatal habit of thinking I must say something on every subject and on every occasion.

Release me from the craving to straighten out everybody's affairs.

Keep my mind free from the recital of endless details and give me wings to get to the point.

I ask for grace enough to listen to the tales of others' pains. Help me to endure them with patience.

But seal my lips on my own aches and pains and curb my pleasure in reciting them -- a practice that is becoming sweeter as the years go by.

Teach me the glorious lesson that occasionally it is possible that I may be mistaken.

Keep me reasonably sweet and even if I can't be a saint, keep me from becoming a sour old person whose attitude testifies for the Devil instead of the loving Savior.

Make me thoughtful but not moody, helpful but not bossy -- even though with my vast store of wisdom it seems a pity not to use it all.

Lord, most of all, You know how much I'm going to need friendship in my golden years. Help me to be a lovable and loving person.

I ask this in Your mercy and by Your grace.

Amen.

2 comments:

Trixie said...

Thank you! I needed that today as I turn over another year on the calendar. I'm going to print this out as a reminder.

Genevieve Netz said...

It's easy to think of all the old folks that this describes so well, and yet it's really hard to imagine it ever applying to myself. :D

Happy birthday, Trixie, and all best wishes for a really great year!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.