Monday, January 23, 2006

Sunrise Surprise

An unexpected visitor



I looked out the kitchen window a few mornings ago and saw a lovely sunrise in progress, so I slipped on my housecoat and shoes, grabbed the camera, and went outside. I decided that Clarence's barns and silo would look good in silhouette, so I walked in that direction. As I came over the crest of the hill, whom should I see but Jimmie Skunk, scurrying to the brush pile. Both he and I were quite horrified at the sight of each other! I took my picture -- one shot -- and got out of there.

Jimmy Skunk opened his eyes very early one morning and peeped out of his snug little house on the hill. Big, round Mr. Sun, with a very red, smiling face, had just begun to climb up into the sky. Old Mother West Wind was just starting down to the Green Meadows with her big bag over her shoulder. In the bag Jimmy Skunk knew she carried all her children, the Merry Little Breezes, whom she was taking down to the Green Meadows to play and frolic all day.

"Good morning, Mother West Wind," said Jimmy Skunk politely. "Did you see any beetles as you came down the hill?"

Old Mother West Wind said no, she hadn’t seen any beetles as she came down the hill

"Thank you," said Jimmy Skunk politely. "I guess I’ll have to go look myself, for I’m very, very hungry."

So Jimmy Skunk brushed his handsome black and white coat, and washed his face and hands, and started out to try to find some beetles for his breakfast...


From Jimmy Skunk Looks for Beetles by Thornton W. Burgess.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTENTMENT: Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, sing often, pray always, forget self, think of others and their feelings, fill your heart with love, scatter sunshine. These are the tried links in the golden chain of contentment.
(Author unknown)

IT IS STILL BEST to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasure; and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
(Laura Ingalls Wilder, 1867-1957)

Thanks for reading.